Thursday, July 21, 2011

Big Girls Don't Cry

I'd like to take a minute to address the idea of clothes shopping when you're a plus size gal. I've never been a bean pole and clothes shopping is always more along the lines of "buying what fits" instead of "buying what makes me feel beautiful as a woman." Sad but true.

Clothes should empower you and make you feel strong and confident. They should dress your canvas of a body to be attractive, and there isn't a person out there which doesn't deserve the confidence that comes from being well dressed. If you're a plus size lady however, well let's just say we might not be empowered as easily.

During the last several years, stores have finally started carrying clothes that don't look like they're geared for the elderly and have some sort of shape. For years all you could find were giant cotton sacks that had sunflowers or American flags screen printed on them. It felt like a conspiracy between the American Health Association and the clothing industry. Like they got a deal on materials or labor if they only made unattractive fat people clothes. You know, to encourage us to slim down so we could wear awesome things again. Jerks.

Although the clothes have changed a bit, the brick and mortar stores still have much work to do to make me feel truly comfortable shopping there without wanting to gouge my eye out with a spoon. And no, online ordering isn't an option. Well, technically it is, but sizing is always different and 9 times out of 10 ends in returning things and reordering. Sucky. But I digress...

PROBLEMS WITH PLUS SIZE CLOTHING STORES

1.THE LIGHTING
The rule of thumb that most women abide by is the darker the better. It's a little more forgiving and slightly more sultry. This is usually the case in many regular clothing stores, but for some reason, they seem to think that chubbies want to see it all. One might actually argue that it would be bad for business. If we actually paid attention to what we looked like in all that shining glory, it would be enough incentive for us all to stop eating. Permanently.

2. THE HEAT
Clothes look their best when they're being displayed and illuminated and I get that. If your product doesn't look good on the rack, then there's no reason to pick it up and want to try it on. The heat from the ridiculous amount of spotlights however is just insane. As is, women of size are already loaded down with enough extra pounds to be the eqivellent of wearing a parka in the middle of summer, but add the lights, and it starts to get sweaty — and not the glisteny, hot momma, I wanna get with that, kind of sweat either.

3. THE PRICE
Obviously it takes more fabric to create a plus size garment. For one pair of my jeans, you could probably make two size 0 skinny girl jeans. That would stand to reason that they would be twice the material cost, though equal amounts of labor costs. When the garments hit the rack at the store, most items push the $75 mark each time. Apparently we're all rich too (which is a memo I did not receive). It's like they know we have no other option than to buy from their store and truth be told... we don't.

4. THE COMPLIMENTARY YOU-GO-GIRL CLERKS
Clerks at many retailers are pushy. It's not just a fat lady thing, but there's something different about these stores. When you're skinny, they're all about just making sure you're finding what you're needing, but when you're plus size, it's like they have to give you a pep talk before trying anything. For instance...

I was in the mall (shudder) tonight looking for a new top. Here's how the conversation went:

CLERK: What's up girlfriend, anything I can help you find?
ME: Nope, just lookin' thanks. I'll give ya a shout if I need something. Thanks!
CLERK: What brings ya in today, looking for something special?
ME: Nope, just lookin' around, thank you.
CLERK: Ya sure, these pants would be super cute with those new tops up front in the window and they're on clearance even.
ME: Naw, thank you though, I'm looking for a top for a date.
CLERK: Hive Fives Girlfriend (note: these were words, not actions), a date for you, rockin' awesome.
ME: Yup, thanks. (*I now try to look interested in a rack of clothes to make her go away)
CLERK: Where'd ya meet him? Online?
ME: Well he's my husband, I just wanted to look my best.
CLERK: No way girlfriend, you're married (she then looks at my mohawk and turns her head in a puzzling manner like she has no idea how I'm married and she isn't)
ME: For several years, thanks. I'm gonna go check out this rack up front, thanks for your help.
CLERK: Right on, let me know if you need anything, I can custom fit you for lingerie. Just let me know and we can get those girls strapped in, pushed up and dressed for a night of fun!

It was at this point that I ran away. I had horrible visions of her actually trying to high five me in the middle of a bra fitting. Those are embarrassing enough, there doesn't need to be any additional cheering going on. Yeah boobies! You go! Rock! Awesome! High fives! Where my girls at? *sigh* Barf.

5. LACK OF MODESTY
When you go big girl clothes shopping, two things become quickly apparent.
1: We are supposed to show off our boobies.
2: It doesn't matter how short your skirt is (or you can forgo one all together and wear a longer shirt), as long as you wear jeggings.

It is almost impossible to find clothes with necklines that won't make you blush or hemlines that are flattering for legs that might *gasp* rub together. Although I greatly appreciate the diversity of clothing you find now, there are some styles and fashions best left to those whose bodies are slightly more attractive than mine. Sex appeal can happen with modest clothes assuming they fit correctly and don't boast the aforementioned sunflowers or flags. I mean yes, I know the entire world wants to see my jiggly underarms, I have read your emails, they're in quite the demand, but I just don't want to show them off. Sorry.

< /complaining> (or as I like to call it issue identification)

This post in it's entirety is actually quite ridiculous. Here I sit, in front of a laptop, with internet access, complaining about having enough money to go an air conditioned store and buy clothing. I don't have a job that limits my shopping time. I was able to drive to the store of my choosing. I don't have to make my own clothing. Yes, I know this is a 1st world problem and while I'm grateful for the life I live and the freedoms I've been granted, deep down I still hope someone from the fat-woman-clothing-industry reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment